In 1972 Don Delillo wrote a piece for Sports Illustrated titled Total Loss Weekend. The story followed a bettor who spends an entire weekend losing every bet he places. To be sure, the teams and players I followed this past weekend won some and lost some, but looking back from the gathering dusk of a Tuesday evening I'm wondering where the hell my weekend went.I'd known this particular weekend was coming for a while. The NBA Finals plunging head long into the opening weekend of the FIFA World Cup, while the French Open drew to a close. In my mind, this perfect storm was ample justification for the purchase of a hideously expensive flat panel television. Throw in the Tour de France, and the purchase seemed like a no brainer. I'm happy to report that other priorities emerged.
With the bubblicious CRT in full effect, I watched and watched some more. The weather cooperated. By the time I made it out to the hammock on Saturday afternoon, I took a hooded sweatshirt with me. When Amy and I napped in the hammock Sunday, she brought a blanket.
No comments:
Post a Comment